28 August 2007

Success! (sort of)

I've decided it's time I finally take the plunge and try a sweater. Scary! After scouring the web for an easy-looking pattern, I decided to try the Anthropologie-inspired Capelet, which is worked top-down. Because this was really just an experiment to see if I could do it, I used cheapo acrylic yarn originally bought for a blanket. I haven't even finished the capelet, as the sleeves are still on waste yarn, but the fact that I followed the pattern and got the basic shape is encouraging. Now I have the confidence to start my first "real" sweater--one that I would actually wear.

Here's a pic of the unfinished sweater:

Pattern: Anthropologie-inspired Capelet
Needles: 11 circular
Yarn: Caron worsted acrylic, double-stranded
Notes: A very easy-to-follow pattern, and quick at that! I did this in two sittings (I never finish anything in one sitting). The cheap yarn was not fun to work with, especially double-stranded on bamboo needles. But that was my own fault for being cheap and not wanting to buy yarn for the experiment. The one thing I don't like about the sweater is that it is shorter in the back and longer in the front. If I make it again, I'll extend the back.

No comments: