09 August 2007

Thrift scores

Not too long ago, I came across a bag of yarn in my local thrift store. The store usually has the random bag or skein of yarn, but it's typically ratty-looking acrylic that is easy to pass by. On this particular day, the bag of yarn I found looked somewhat promising. At the very least, it had some interesting yarns inside. I could see a skein of homespun mixed in with some eyelash yarn. It was $2.99 for the bag, so I figured I would take it home and see if I could use any of it.

Once home, I opened the package to see if any yarn was salvageable. Goodness! I got quite a deal! For less than three bucks I got ten skeins of yarn, including:

1 ball Sensations Bellezza Collection - Margherita in Color 3
1 skein Lion Brand Homepun in Barrington
1 ball Trendsetter Voila Print in Color 14
2 skeins Sensations Oceania in Orange Multi
2 skeins Lanna Gato Amsterdam in Color 2718
2 skeins Trendsetter Savvy in Color 4972

and...

1 hank Noro Big Kureyon in Color 2.


The Noro alone makes the purchase well worth the money. In fact, much of the yarn had price tags of $10...$12...even $20 on them. Unfortunately I'm not much for the eyelash yarn and don't think I'll make anything with it. I'll hold onto it for now just in case.

I've already made a scarf from the Trendsetter Savvy, which I intend to donate to charity. The novelty yarn isn't my style, but maybe it will make someone else happy.


I'm in the process of making a simple shawl from the homespun, to keep at work for the extra chilly days (I swear they keep the temperatures below freezing -- I already have a scarf and fingerless gloves at my desk).

As for the Noro, well, I'll have to think of something special to make with that.

2 comments:

Ilix said...

Way to go on those thrift store finds!! Woot!
Can't wait to see what you make of them!

Jessica said...

Thanks :) It was definitely a steal.